Tuesday, January 20, 2009

FrEe at LaSt!

I just had to write something regarding today: The 44 president of the United States, Mr. Barack H. Obama gave his inuguration speech before thousands. Am I an american? No. I am mexican, but like many other "minorities" and republicans who voted for him I cannot help but have this enormous pride.

We've sure come a long way -as people- Like he said, years ago he wouldn't have been served in a restaurant and now he's leading a country; with thousands -millions- smiling in unison, with the sense of peace, the look of "finally!"; the soothness of the culmination of the work of Abe Lincoln, JFK, Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks and so many others who fought for the right to be treated and respected like any other human.

I pray for him and his family. And I sure support him like I did waaay from the start. Not only because I'm a christian, not only because I'm a democrat, not only because I believe in treating everyone the same, but because I believe in a better world for my daughter, and this is a major step towards achieving that goal.


Now for those who are already hoping for him to fail, looking for an excuse to point fingers; I say the same thing that I said when our president Felipe Calderón took his oath: You can't expect miracles instantly. You can't change a pattern of ignorance, stupidity and incompetence with a wave of a hand. He's only human, and has a big job to do. But he will succeed, and his success is our own.

To the people who doubt, to those who are skeptical, to those who are still living in 1930, astonished that a "colored man" rose that high; I say free yourselves from these ideas. This is the age of touch-screen, blogging, avatars and lasik eye surgery. You cannot move foward and have a 1930's mentality. You might as well wear a t-shirt that reads "ignorant fool". It is only then that we can believe -and live- "Free at last, free at last, thank God allmighty; we are free at last".

Can we do it? Oh, "yes we can"!


This blog is dedicated to all those who fight for what they believe in, for those who take a stand when needed, for those who are colorblind, the way God intended us to be when He said: love one another. To those who believe in a better place for our children and our children's children. You don't have to be an American to realize the importance of what happened yesterday. And if you're concerned with the economy, the job cuts, the crisis; {and you shouldn't, if you read my last blog} remember, when you reach the bottom there's no where to go but up.

No comments: