Thursday, July 20, 2006

ReQuIeM fOr An EnVeLoPe / ReQuIeM pOr Un SoBrE

Today's blog has to do with something I was discussing with some friends last saturday. I was sorta complaining that now, in the era of email, chats, and yes; even blogs like this people don't write letters anymore. I was saying how before Miguel and I married, the first year we were together (in 1996!) I sent him a telegram every month. I loved it! First of all, you have to pick your words carefully, 'cause you only get ten. Second, it's cheap, very cheap (I sent some to my sister back when she was in Illinois) and third, since telegrams have always been used to deliver bad news (or to ask for money, as I once heard) I thought it would be a nice gesture to recieve some cheer.

The same with letters. Now, I'll admit I'm terrible at snail mail; but when I do, I'm so excited to find out when it arrived! I am very excited when we get any mail that's not bills or junk, mostly from our friend Luis in Michigan and the Waltzes.

I once met a magician in Chicago who wanted to see my illustrations, so I snail mailed him a magazine and welll... all he got was the envelope. Bet someone else liked it too!

One thing I like is when a couple writes a letter or card and the guy actually writes a couple lines instead of the woman doing everything and then leaving a space at the bottom for him to sign. What's up with that? Does it mean "well, I feel the same way too, but now she's written it so why bother?". I must confess, we've done it too.

My friends with whom I was having this discussion the other day are probably like that. She said she's grateful NOT to recieve any mail, because it would be "one more thing to throw away". (And now I'm a little relieved I haven't sent her any!).

I will probably still write letters and cards, I have three, yes; three boxes full of stationery yet, and I pride myself in being a thankyou note queen.

Today's blog is dedicated to my sister Leslie, who is great at snail mail, and to Luis, Ginni, Pam and Alex, who have also written our way.

El blog the hoy tiene que ver con algo que discutía con unos amigos el sábado pasado. Me quejaba de que en esta era del mail, chat y sí, hasta del blog; la gente ya no escribe cartas. Les comentaba como cuando Miguel y yo eramos novios, el primer año (1996!) le envié un telegrama cada mes. Esto del telegrama es padre porque primero, tienes que elegir bien tus palabras, pues sólo tienes 10. Segundo, es muuuuy económico (a veces envié unos a mi hermana cuando vivía en Illinois) y tercero, los telegramas siempre se han usado para dar malas noticias (o para pedir dinero, como alguna vez ecuché); de modo que debe ser agradable recibir un poco de ánimo de esta manera.

Lo mismo con las cartas. Ahora, yo reconozco que soy malísima en esto, pero me encanta llegar y ver un sobre a mi nombre que no sean estados de cuenta por pagar y promociones inútiles; por lo general de nuestro amigo Luis en Michigan y los Waltzes.

Una vez conocí a un mago en Chicago que quería ver algo de mis ilustraciones, así que le envié la revista por correo y pues... recibió el sobre vacío. Supongo que a alguien le gustó más.

Otra cosa que me gusta es cuando una pareja manda una carta ó tarjeta y él dedica un par de líneas, en vez de que ella escriba todo y deje un espacio en blanco al final para que él firme su nombre. ¿Qué es esto? Es como diciendo, "yo siento lo mismo que ella pero ella ya lo escribió, así que ya no me molesto"... tristemente confieso que nosotros lo hemos hecho.

Los amigos con quienes discutía esto probablemente lo hacen también. Ella dijo que personalmente agradecía el que no le enviaran cartas, pues sería "una cosa más que tirar a la basura". Y que bueno que no lo he hecho!

Probablemente escribiré cartas por mucho tiempo más, aún tengo tres, sí, tres cajas de papel y sobres decorados. Y me enorgullezco de ser buena en tarjetas de agradecimiento.

El blog de hoy esta dedicado a mi hermana Leslie, que es muy buena en esto del correo aéreo, y a Luis, Ginni, Pam y Alex; quienes también nos han enviado cartas.

No comments: